Sunday, November 29, 2009

Texas Sheet Cake

We have a lot of family in town, so we end up at serveral different houses on Thanksgiving. Therefore, I don't end up cooking a big feast at my house, but usually make a side dish or dessert to take where we go. This year I made a Texas Sheet Cake to take for dessert at my parents house. It was yummy! Here's the recipe...


* 1 cup butter
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup cocoa
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 cups flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* Frosting, below
* chopped pecans

Frosting

* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/4 cup cocoa
* 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar, sifted (4 1/4 cups sifted)
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cake: Combine butter, water, and cocoa in saucepan over medium heat; heat until butter melts. Add sugar, flour, salt, eggs, soda, sour cream, and vanilla; mix well. Pour into a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Spread frosting over hot cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans.

For frosting, combine butter, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with electric mixer. Spread over the hot sheet cake then sprinkle with chopped pecans.

1 comment:

The Penter Family said...

I just found this blog! I'm glad I did because I'm always looking for good recipes. I'm now a follower of you!!!